Monday, June 3, 2019

Church Family

Why should you go to church? Let's start here.

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near."
Hebrews 10:24‭-‬25 NLT

"For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”
Matthew 18:20 NLT

For a long time I thought you went to church to learn about God and grow closer to Him. I can't find that in the Bible. I feel like that's our personal work to do at home but feel free to correct me. Here's what I gather from these scriptures and what I've experienced from my church family.

I would estimate our regular Sunday morning attendance at 40-50 people. Though we have several that don't attend every Sunday that are 100% part of the family. We will say they are our out of state family. 😉

This past weekend we had a wedding in our church family. Y'all this was one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever seen. I don't know everything that went on but here's what I know.

One wonderful couple gave the use of their beautiful home and grounds as a venue.

Another beautiful family made ALL of the bridesmaids dresses, put together every floral centerpiece, bouquet, boutineer, and dressed the "naked" cake that I had the pleasure of making.

Others lent time to help with flowers, to deliver tables, chairs, props. Some cut and served cake, poured drinks and made coffee. A whole team set up, tore down and cleaned. Two especially handsome guys cooked and served the food. There was a sweet boy taking videos. Another family threw such a sweet shower in their home. More lent supplies, tools and decor, organized and ran the service.

The sweet wedding planner was a breastfeeding mama, you guys! And she killed it!

Some simply attended as a sign of love and support for these newlyweds or stood up with them as a sign they are invested in helping their marriage thrive.

Do you remember how many people I said our church had?

It takes a village to raise a child and y'all maybe even a bigger village to marry one off! I know some money was spent but to my knowledge none of these people received money for their help. My church knows how to serve!! And I didn't hear any complaining, only joy and excitement and maybe occasional slight panic but that's par for the course.

This weekend this group of people who I truly consider family, thought of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And we came together and each one held up another just like roots hold up a tree.

This could have never been done by one person. And we were never meant to do life alone! You should go to church to be encouraged and lifted up not only in the trials but also in the most joyful times. You should go to church so your faith can grow through this encouragement. You should go to church so your family can call out the lies the devil tries to feed you and encourage you in the truth.

There are some churches that don't act like this and there are some people that have been hurt by them. Can I get a 🙋!?

But if this sounds like your definition of why you should go to church, if you are ready to both serve and receive, I invite you to my church. We are a broken, messed up, goofy bunch but we live and serve well together and it is the most beautiful picture of Jesus you'll ever see! ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your mind is a Powerful Thing

Your mind is a powerful thing! Just as easily as you can think all the negative things you do in a day, you have the power to replace every ...