Monday, June 3, 2019

Dad

Between the ages of 3 and 10 I was raised by a single dad. He was my favorite. 😊 He took me to McDonald's for an Egg McMuffin and a Coke every morning on the way to school in his Datsun pickup and then headed off to a day of hard labor as a very talented perfectionist carpenter.

I think we ate either cereal, spaghetti or Pizza D'action in our Stiff Station  house in Little Rock, that over the years he went from renting to owning and transformed from a house with an apartment to a nice family home with a shop and office for the construction company he eventually started because he didn't want to work for people anymore that would settle for subpar workmanship. He always told me I was his bestest girlfriend even though as a handsome man he had no shortage.

The impact those years had on me is tremendous. A telemarketer called once and asked for the lady of the house. I went to tell my dad and he said I was the lady of the house 🤷 so I went back and took the call. There may or may not have been a C.O.D. order that arrived a few weeks later. But that stuck with me and I learned to be a servant.

As the woman of the house, I loved to pack my dad's lunches, give him back rubs, and cook for him. (You might ask him about the time I made him a tuna sandwich that was the best he ever had... Until he realized the cat food was missing 🤪)

And today I still LOVE to serve. My Mema once told me that I was always happiest when I had a project going. Such a small comment such a LARGE revelation. I have come to realize that my passion really burns when I'm busy with a project but especially if it also serves others. Some of my happiest times have been running fundraisers, making costumes (even though sewing is not my favorite), planning parties, running errands, and making food. ( I LOVE FOR PEOPLE TO EAT MY FOOD!!! That comes from all the weekends and summers with my Mema's learning the good old way!)

That's all hard work! And people pay good money for all of those things! But I really enjoy doing these things as a service. It allows them to be more of a hobby and less of a stress. The joy and personal fulfillment I get from serving is worth so much more than money! My Mema always said I wouldn't do this for money just for love. Yes!

 Everyone has dreams and many of them revolve around dollars but mine is to love on people well through service. It just lights my heart on fire! And this week I get to make a 5 tier wedding cake for the sweetest girl and I'm on top of the world (and terrified because I want it to be perfect for her! 😬).

What lights your heart on fire? Maybe you want to own a jet or maybe you want to wash people's feet. Maybe both!! It's all good! Go do it!!!

P.S. Thanks Dad🤗

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your mind is a Powerful Thing

Your mind is a powerful thing! Just as easily as you can think all the negative things you do in a day, you have the power to replace every ...